Sunday, January 24, 2010

Dirty Dozen Brass Band & The Coolin' System @ Exit/In 1/21/10

On Thursday night I went to the Exit/In to check out the Dirty Dozen Brass Band (pictured left) and one of my favorite instrumental jazz groups in town, The Coolin' System (below), whom I have seen several times over the past year and have grown as a band significantly since I first saw them. It is fun to watch a band like The Coolin' System because every time you go to one of their shows it is better than the last one, and the last one was usually great! As anticipated, The Coolin' System delivered. The large crowd at the Exit/In was groovin as the members of the band traded solos and brought to life a Nashville crowd that always seems hesitant to dance. After getting the crowd warmed up, The Coolin' System exited stage left and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band took the stage.
This show was my first experience with the Dirty Dozen Brass Band, but from talking with many other people I was a rare attendee that hadn't seen them before. Not only was this a Nashville crowd, but I ran into friends from Bowling Green who had come down to see the show and as the DDBB took the stage I realized why they made the drive. Celebrating the 25th anniversary of their hit "My Feet Can't Fail Me Now", This New Orleans based horn band brought together that old time New Orleans sound with a hint of hip-hop flavor. It was danceable, sing-a-long, fun music and the band looked like they were having a blast as well. They played for several hours non-stop and the crowd loved every minute of it. This is not a band to miss if they make their way back through town again.



Other pictures from the night:






























No comments:

Post a Comment