Saturday, November 14, 2009

Brett Dennen @ The Cannery Ballroom 11/13/09

Sadly, on Friday night I arrived at the Cannery Ballroom just in time to hear Grace Potter end. I had figured at the time that showing up at 9:20 or so on a Friday night the opener would surely still be rockin, but I was mistaken. Fortunately I have seen Grace Potter before and know how awesome her set is, nevertheless I was still slightly disgruntled by the fact that I only got to hear one song and that it was totally my fault. Luckily, although I didn't know it at the time, I was in for a new live music experience that would push aside all of my disgruntled feelings and replace them with the sweet sounds of California.
Before attending this show I had only heard a few of Brett Dennen's songs, but ever since leaving the show I have had my favorite songs from the night on repeat.
Dennen, whom is based out of Oakdale, California, brings an eclectic mix of influences to his insanely catchy pop songs that had the audience at the Cannery singing and dancing from start to finish. Not only were people singing on their own, but Dennen's crowd interaction was phenomenal with several great call and response parts and some of his own lyrical riffing that made the night a unique experience.

Another unique thing about the night was the demographics of the crowd. Observing this allowed me to realize that Dennen's music transcends age groups from younger college age students to people of my parents generation. This may be due to the fact that Dennen's brilliant blend of California rock with diverse rhythms and vocal tones that are reminiscent of Paul Simon, make Dennen's peaceful perspective on life accessible to pretty much any audience.

If you have friends in any of the cities that Dennen is playing in on the rest of this tour, be sure to let them know that this is a show that they don't want miss.

www.myspace.com/brettdennen






Other photos from the night:

No comments:

Post a Comment